„Manuel, our printers are gone!“, „Manuel, I can not print!“ and „Where did my printer go?!“ are just some things i heard instead „Good morning“ when i stood up earlier today.
After changing the GPP for our printers this night, where I added a rule to disconnect all shared printers (which obviously worked ;)), most, but not all of our printers were gone. But I found a fix for this.

Printers are from hell. Period. theoatmeal.com

Printers are from hell. Period. theoatmeal.com

After doing a load of investigation by running trhough our offices, equipped with pen and paper, double checking the printers that are still connected and checking it again on print server I found out the connected printers had something in common: A security group.

So I decided to run a gpupdate to see what was the result of it, and got the error 0x80070005, which means „Permission denied“.

gpo_printer

And that’s it! Even if you deploy your printers by GPP, which is in fact an user-policy, you have to add the security group „Domain computers“ in the security context of your devices – if it’s not there, you’ll get the error and GPP cannot connect the printer.

Don’t ask me why you need to add computers to a device deployed by an user policy – but you have to.

And that’s just one reason, why I also believe printers where sent from hell!